castello di ceri, eventi e matrimoni

ita | eng
CLOSE

castello-di-ceri-storia1

The history of the village and the castle more properly called “Palazzo Torlonia ” is full of events that have changed the face over the centuries.
While not confirm the thesis of Prince Don Alessandro that Ceri is the site of Cerveteri, it is compelling evidence that the Etruscans were present from the beginning of their civilization, and a brick wall, evidenced the presence of the Romans.
After the fall of the Roman Empire it comes a long period of neglect between the fourth and eleventh centuries.
The Martyrdom of St.Felix happened in the Cerveteri campaigns.
The relics of Pope Felix II were transferred to Ceri: the inscription in the church of the Immaculate Conception.
From 1200 to today the story of Ceri has no grey areas, the Alberteschi succeeded the Normans and subsequently, the Orsini accounts of Anguillara feud, the latter held for nearly two centuries, during which Ceri saw the rise of the Mansion.
In 1503 the small village, after 38 days of desperate resistance to the siege of the Duke Valentino Cesare Borgia, was razed to the ground and Giulio Orsini had to surrender their weapons.
In 1527, Lorenzo Orsini-Anguillara, known Renzo of Ceri, received for having defended Rome from the assault of mercenaries, the feud Bieda, the estate of his niece Portia married off his daughter to Frederick Duke of Olympia Water sparta. His son Andrew, at the end of 1500, it cames in heritage Ceri, meanwhile erected a duchy.
In 1657 Ceri passed to the Counts Borromeo as a dowry of Joan Cesi was married to Julius Caesar Borromeo.
In 1678 it was sold to the princes Odescalchi in the 1712 back to the Borromeo and from them after four years at Duke Giuseppe Serra. In 1721 returns to the Odescalchi family.
In 1833, Don Alessandro Torlonia buy Ceri to which he has a special fondness: It’s a quiet place that allows him to rest, to hunt and seek antiquity acquires land and buildings by the owners left and began the demolition that will change the face of the village and the garden adjoining the palace.
The prince died in 1886.
The great war has passed, we are in the fifties, the estates disappears Maremma sets up land reform.
As it appears today the castle of Ceri with the adjoining garden, is largely due to the radical transformation of work performed by Don Alessandro Torlonia after purchasing the Odescalchi in 1883, along with most of the ancient village of Ceri and the vast territory that will constitute a large estate surrounding agricultural administered until the years of land reform that will be expropriated, divided into lots and distributed to the beneficiaries, former seasonal agricultural workers and / or former employees of Torlonia.
The village and the ancient palace were radically reworked, many houses demolished to create the large square in the center of the village, and to give room for the new garden attached to the Palace, built the new crenellated walls to enclose the hanging garden, adding fake guns cast iron to accentuate the image of the village defense, by conforming the post to an architectural style late romantic widespread and fashionable in those years to a real need defensive now devoid of reason.
In the renovated village, find accommodation, no more warriors in arms, but the employees of the Prince for the conduct of the estate: the factor, the Administrator, the Casaro, the Fagocchio … as well as warehouses for the storage of crops, housing for seasonal workers.

Next page >